Finding a place to live

Posted by

            Depending on your need and financial situation, there are several kinds of housing

            available in B.C.


Apartment/Suite :
This kind usually has one or more bedrooms. All apartments and suites have a kitchen, a

Bathroom and a living room. These suites for rent may be in an apartment building or Bathroom and a living room. This may be located in an apartment building or in a house.


    These kind of housing have one room with a kitchen area and a bathroom.

c)  DUPLEX :

      A duplex is a house divided into two separate apartments. It may be bought or



      A townhouse is a small house joined to other small houses. It may be bought or



      An apartment building has one owner for the whole building. In a comdominium

      building, which is also known as Condo or Strata, each apartment is owned by one

      person or family.


     A mobile home can be moved from one place to another. It is usually cheaper to

     buy than a house. You must also buy or rent the land to put the mobile home on.

It is usually in a shared house or apartment. Everyone shares the kitchen and


It means a room and meals. Furniture is included.

Co-ops and some non-profit groups also provide low-cost housing. There is a waiting

list for these places. B.C. Housing has low-cost apartments and townhouses that the

government rents. These are also for families with low and middle incomes. To rent,

you must have lived in B.C. for at least a year. There is a waiting list for these places.

When you rent a place, usually you also have to pay the “Security Deposit” which is

not more than half of one month’s rent. The landlord keeps the money until you

move out. If there is no damage done by you and clean the apartment well, then the

landlord must give you back the money plus the interest accumulated within 15 days

of your move out. When you rent a place, you and the landlord should make a

written tenancy agreement, which is the contract agreement. The agreement outlines the

rules for the renting. When you plan to move out, you must tell your landlord in writing

before the last day of the one month before you will move out. You also need to cancel all

the utilities such as telephone line etc. before you move out. While you have a home, rental

or otherwise, you may buy insurance on your home and your belongings for incidents such

as fire and robbery.


      For more information on co-ops, call (604) 879-5112 ( in lower mainland), and on

      B.C. Housing, call 433-2218 ( in Vancouver), 1-800-257-7756 ( elsewhere in B.C.).