Sajilo Pustika

Please note that the information herein is compiled from various sources  and is assumed to be current at the time of distribution. Names, addresses, telephone numbers, fax numbers, e-mail addresses may change, or become obsolete without notice. The compiler or NCSBC assumes no responsibility for any cost or inconvenience that errors, omissions, or changes may cause a user of this booklet.

Please reach out to using the Contact Us page for any suggestions, edits.


If you have a legal problem, you may need a lawyer. If you cannot afford to pay the

Lawyer’s fee, you may seek legal help from :


It provides free legal service and is administered by the Legal Services Society

Of B.C. For more information, contact them at 601-6100.


Law students, supervised by lawyers, give free law classes in many communities

In Vancouver area. For more information, contact them at 822-5791.


You can call Dial-a-Law for free information about the law. This is a library of

Tapes prepared by lawyers. Call 687-4680 ( in Vancouver area), 1-800-565-5297

( elsewhere in B.C.).

       Parents who work or go to school may need someone to take care of their children.

If you do not have someone to take care of your children, there are different kinds of

Childcare available. To find out, call 709-5699 ( in Vancouver) and 1-800-663-7867

( elsewhere in B.C.).


       Parents who work or go to school may need someone to take care of their children.

If you do not have someone to take care of your children, there are different kinds of

Childcare available. To find out, call 709-5699 ( in Vancouver) and 1-800-663-7867

( elsewhere in B.C.).


         In B.C. all drivers must have a valid drivers licence. You need different types of

      Licences, if you want to drive a motorcycle, bus, large truck or a taxi. To get a

Car driving licence, you must be 16 years old or older. And if you are under 19 years

Old, a guardian must sign the application. There are two kinds of test involved in the


It is about the driving rules in B.C. A booklet called “Safe Driving Guide” has the

information about driving rules. The test is based on the booklet. In the process, you

will also have your vision test done.

If you pass the knowledge test, you get a learner driver’s licence, which is valid for

a year. You may practice driving with or without the driving school. But while

practicing, you must have at least 19 years old person sitting next to you who has a

valid driver’s licence. During the road test, an examiner will test your driving skills.

If you pass, you will get the licence.

For more information, contact “Motor vehicle Services – ICBC” which is in the Blue

Pages in the B.C. Government section.

Car dealers well new and used cars. Shop around before commiting to buy. You may

Also buy a car directly form an owner. But make sure you checked everything

About the car.

If something goes wrong with the car after you buy, the warranty on the car

Will replace some parts for free. Find out what warranty covers and how long

It lasts on the car you plan to buy.

You must register your car and buy licence plates and car insurance. You can

Do this at any Autoplan office. The Insurance Corporation of B.C. ( ICBC) is

A company owned by the B.C. government. It provides vehicle insurance and

Handles accident claims.


         In case of a car accident, find out if anyone is hurt and write down the other

     Driver’s name, address, licence number etc. If there were any witness around, get

     Their names and addresses as well. You should report to the police, if it is a serious


        You should also phone ICBC as soon as possible about the accident. Call the

    “Dial-a-Claim” number for the place where you live.

         You have to pay a fine if the police catch you breaking certain driving rules, such

     As driving through a red light, or driving faster than the speed limit. There are other

     Fines involved, for example, parking tickets for parking in “no parking” site, or for

     Not putting enough coins in the meter.

        Drinking alcohol and driving is a serious offence, it may cost you the driving

     Licence and also may have to pay a fine or go to jail.

        All drivers and passengers must wear seat belts. Children under 9kg or 20lbs.

     Must sit in a baby seat facing the rear of the car. Children between 9 and 18kg or

     20 to 40lbs. Must sit in a child safety seat.


     You must have your Social Insurance Number ( SIN) to work in Canada. If you do

      not have it, you can apply for one at the Human Resources Development Centre.The

      Human Resources Development Centre is an important place to visit for other help

      information and help you may need, such as finding job. For more information, look

      in the Blue Pages in the Government of Canada section under “Human Resources

      Development Canada”  for your area.

When applying for a job, many companies ask for a resume. It is a written summary

Of your education and work experience. Friends and even the immigrant settlement

Agency may be able to help you writing your resume.


     There are rules to follow to start a business. The business must be registered and

     Licensed by the government. There are government programs that may help you

     Start a business. For more information, call The Canada-B.C. Business Service

     Centre at 777-5525 ( in lower mainland) and 1-800-667-2272 ( elsewhere).


In B.C., there is a law to protect most workers, which is called the “Employment

Standard Act.” Both workers and employers have responsibilities under this Act.

Call the Employment Standards Branch for more information at 660-4000 ( in

lower mainland) and 1-800-663-3316 ( elsewhere).

In B.C., workers usually work eight hours a day and 40 hours a week. If you work

More than this, then you must get overtime pay, which is at least 1.5 times your

Hourly pay. If you get to go to work and there isn’t any work to do, then you must

Get paid for two hours of work. If you end up working only a short time, then you

Must be paid for four hours of work.

After working for five hours, you should get a 30 minutes break. The employer

Doesn’t have to pay you for this time. If you work a split shift, the time between

When you start work in the day and the time you stop work cannot be more than 12

Hours. You must have 32 consecutive hours free from work each week. If your

Employer asks you to work during the 32 hours, you must get paid for double time,

Which is two times your hourly pay.  


      Most workers get paid by cheque every two weeks. Your employer must give you

      A pay slip with every cheque.

The employer must deduct money from your pay cheque to pay for the following:


             You pay money into this plan each month that you work. As a result, when you

             Retire, you may receive a pension from the government.


       You pay money into this plan each month that you work. If you lose your job,

       You may receive money from the government while you look for a new job.


       This money helps to pay the costs of government expenses, such as health care

       And education.


       Your employer may provide some benefits, such as dental plan and pension plan,

       Which are considered taxable benefits by Revenue Canada. The value of these

       Benefits is deducted from your pay cheque.


      If you are in a union and the union has an agreement with your employer, some

      Money will be deducted to pay for the union dues.


           Your employer may deduct additional amounts for things that you have given

           Your permission to deduct, such as additional life insurance coverage and

     Purchase Canada Savings Bonds through deductions from your pay cheque.

In B.C. as of April 1st, 1998, the minimum wage is $7.15 per hour.

All workers must get at least two weeks of paid vacation every year. If you leave

Your job before you take your vacation, your employer must give you the vacation

Pay, which is at least four per cent of your earnings.

In B.C., workers must get the statutory holidays. If you work on any of the

Statutory holidays, you must be paid overtime rate or give you other day off. For

More information, call the Employment Standards Branch.


     A working pregnant woman may take 18 weeks off work without pay, which can

     Start up to 11 weeks before the delivery of the baby. If necessary, she can take up to

     Another six consecutive weeks without pay. She/he may also take up to 12 weeks of

     Parental leave after the baby is born. She may apply for money from Employment

     Insurance ( EI) during her maternity leave.

It is money the government gives to someone who loses a job. When you work, a

Small amount of money is deducted from your pay cheque each month. In case if

You are laid off, you may get money to live on while you are looking for a new job.

For more information, contact the Human Resources Development Centre near you.


     The Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) helps workers who are injured at work.

     If you cannot work because you got hurt or sick at work may get money from WCB.

     If you have an accident at work, report to the authority immediately. For more

     Information, contact WCB at 660-7888 ( in lower mainland) and 1-800-663-4261

     ( elsewhere in B.C.).

            Depending on your need and financial situation, there are several kinds of housing

            available in B.C.


Apartment/Suite :
This kind usually has one or more bedrooms. All apartments and suites have a kitchen, a

Bathroom and a living room. These suites for rent may be in an apartment building or Bathroom and a living room. This may be located in an apartment building or in a house.


    These kind of housing have one room with a kitchen area and a bathroom.

c)  DUPLEX :

      A duplex is a house divided into two separate apartments. It may be bought or



      A townhouse is a small house joined to other small houses. It may be bought or



      An apartment building has one owner for the whole building. In a comdominium

      building, which is also known as Condo or Strata, each apartment is owned by one

      person or family.


     A mobile home can be moved from one place to another. It is usually cheaper to

     buy than a house. You must also buy or rent the land to put the mobile home on.

It is usually in a shared house or apartment. Everyone shares the kitchen and


It means a room and meals. Furniture is included.

Co-ops and some non-profit groups also provide low-cost housing. There is a waiting

list for these places. B.C. Housing has low-cost apartments and townhouses that the

government rents. These are also for families with low and middle incomes. To rent,

you must have lived in B.C. for at least a year. There is a waiting list for these places.

When you rent a place, usually you also have to pay the “Security Deposit” which is

not more than half of one month’s rent. The landlord keeps the money until you

move out. If there is no damage done by you and clean the apartment well, then the

landlord must give you back the money plus the interest accumulated within 15 days

of your move out. When you rent a place, you and the landlord should make a

written tenancy agreement, which is the contract agreement. The agreement outlines the

rules for the renting. When you plan to move out, you must tell your landlord in writing

before the last day of the one month before you will move out. You also need to cancel all

the utilities such as telephone line etc. before you move out. While you have a home, rental

or otherwise, you may buy insurance on your home and your belongings for incidents such

as fire and robbery.


      For more information on co-ops, call (604) 879-5112 ( in lower mainland), and on

      B.C. Housing, call 433-2218 ( in Vancouver), 1-800-257-7756 ( elsewhere in B.C.).

           You can open an account at a bank, a credit union, or a trust company. Before banking,

        find out what kind of accounts it has and about interest and service charges for them. It

        may vary.

           To pay by cheque, you must show the cashier some ID. For that, the driver’s licence, or the

       passport, or a credit card are the best best. If you don’t have the driver’s licence, you may get

       a ID card from a Driver Services Centre. Look in the Blue Pages for that section.

          You can get credit cards from department stores or gas companies. You can also get

       bank credit cards like Visa and Mastercard.

          Debit cards can be used instead of a cheque or credit card to buy things in some

       stores. You get these cards from your banking institution. When you buy things using these

       cards, the money gets deducted from your account immediately. You may also ask for

       some cash for your own use at that time. Each time you use your debit card, there is a fee

       for the service.

   You may be able to do some of your banking from home with a touchtone phone such as

Paying bills. You may also be able to do your banking from home over the Internet. For this,

You need a computer, a telephone/cable line to connect to the internet and a software to

Access the Internet. You can get more information about these services, both from the

telephone company you are using and your bank.

           A mortgage is borrowed money to buy a home. A loan is also borrowed money for other

        Reasons, such as to buy a car, or a TV. You must pay back part of the borrowed money

        Each month with interest. If you end up not being able to repay the borrowed money, there

        Is a provincial government agency that will give you free advice and counselling on what to

        Do. Look in the provincial government section in the Blue Pages under “Debt Counselling”

        Or “Debtor Assistance”  for address and telephone number.

           Whenever you buy something in B.C., you must pay seven per cent Provincial Sales

       Tax ( PST) and seven per cent Federal Goods and Services Tax ( GST). There is, however,

       No PST on clothes for children under 15 years old. If you have a low income, you can get a

       GST credit, meaning the government sends back money to you four times a year. To apply

       For this return, you need to fill in the special page of the income tax form.

           All the working people have income tax taken off their pay cheque each time. Still,

        Everyone has to fill in a tax form each year and send it to the Revenue Canada by April

        30th. If too much tax was taken off your pay cheques, the government may send you

        back that amount. Similarly, you may have to pay more to the government because not

        enough money was taken off your pay cheques.

           Self-employed people who own businesses have to pay income tax as well. Non-working

       people, or no income people also have to fill in the tax form. During March and April, many

       community organizaitons give free help with filling in income tax forms. You can also pay

       someone to help you fill up the forms. For more information, contact Revenue Canada

       at 689-5411 ( in Vancouver), 363-0121 ( in Victoria) and 1-800-959-8281 ( elsewhere).

           Everyone who owns a house, land, or buildings must also pay property tax. Your

       municipality office sends you a bill once or twice a year. You can also pay your property tax

       as part of your mortgage.

Depending on you need, there are a number of ways available to invest your money.


        Term deposits or Guaranteed Investment Certificates ( GICs) pay more interest than

        Savings accounts.

        When you buy Canada Savingsbonds and Treasury Bills, you are lending money

        To the government. In return, the government pays you interest on the bonds.

        Registered Retirement Savings Plan ( RRSP) let you invest money for your

        Retirement. Putting money in a RRSP can lower the taxes you pay every year. If you

        Are working or earning money from a business, you can put money in an RRSP. If

        You take out some or all of the money before you retire, you will have to pay tax on it.

        In that case, the tax is lower if your income is low.

You may want to buy shares in a corporation,  join with others in a “mutual” investment

Fund, or invest in other ways that may fit your need.

For further information on the options available, contact any bank, credit union, or trust

Companies. You may also talk to an investment/financial planner for advice.


B.C. HEALTH INSURANCE :-  B.C. government has a hospital insurance and a
      medical Insurance plan. These plans are for British Columbia residents only.

Canadian citizens, landed immigrants and conventin refugees are all eligible.

REGISTERING FOR HEALTH INSURANCE :-  you do not need to register or
pay for hospital insurance. To receive insurance through the Medical Services
Plan ( MSP), for medical services including doctors’ fees, you must register. If

you don’t , you will have to pay for these services yourself, which may be very high.

To register for medical insurance, call383-7151 ( in Vancouver ), 386-7171

( in Victoria ) and 1-800-663-7100 ( elsewhere in B.C.).

Even after registering, you will not get insurance protection immediately, you will

need to complete a waiting period that includes the rest of the month in which you

became a residentof B.C., plus two months. You should get temporary insurance

from a private insurance company for the waiting period. When your MSP

coverage begins, everyone in your family will get a “Care Card” with the person’s

name and a personal health number. Sign your card and always take it with

you when you visit a doctor or hospital.

HEALTH INSURANC E FEES :-  MSP insurance coverage is not free. You
must pay a monthly fee, which varies if you are a single person or a family

of two or a family of three or more.

Some government-sponsored refugees are eligible for free MSP coverage.

But if you have a job, your payments may be taken off your pay cheque for the

coverage. You do not have to pay for hospital costs if you are a permanent

resident. If you are a refugee Claimant, you must get the “Interim Federal Health”

paper form the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office to go to a hospital.

The Canadian government will pay the hospital costs.

If you call an ambulance to go to the hospital, in case of an emergency, you will

have to Pay for it. The MSP will not pay for an ambulance.

       There are two types of doctors in B.C. (a) family doctors, and (b) specialists. Family doctors

        take care of most medical problems, whereas the specialists treat special health problems.

        e.g. heart disease. Family doctor may refer you to a specialist if needed.

       To find a family doctor, you may ask your friend or contact an immigrant settlement agency.

       Some hospital may have a list of doctors who are taking new patients. Or simply look in the

       Yellow Pages under “Physicians and Surgeons.”

       MSP will not for regular dental services. If you have a job, your employer may have a dental

       plan that you can join. Some public health units have dental clinics. They give free dental

       check ups and cleanings to young children and low-cost dental care to older children and

       adults. To find a dental clinic in your area, look in the Blue Pages under “Dental Clinics” in

       the Cities and Municipalities Section.

You must have a doctor’s prescription to buy prescription drugs at a pharmacy. You can

However, buy some drugs without a prescription. Such drugs are called “Non-prescription


     It is a B.C. government program. It may return some of the money you paid for

Prescription drugs you bought in B.C. For more information, call 682-6849 ( in Vancouver),

952-2866 ( in Victoria ) and 1-800-554-0250 ( elsewhere in B.C.).

           Many communities have public health units. These are medical offices where community

       health nurses and doctors give free health care information to families. In case of a serious

       health problem, public health nurses may be able to help you in your own home. They can

       also help women prepare for a new baby and visit them at home after the baby is born and

      give immunizations to babies and children for polio, measles etc. For more information about

      the health unit in your area, look in the Blue Pages for the “Health Authorities” section.


Canada is a multicultural country. The government encourages people to take pride in their

language, religion and culture. It also encourages all Canadian to treat each other with

respect and to contribute to the Canadian society by taking part in community activities.

Canada has human rights laws that protect people from many kinds of discrimination.

It is discrimination if someone does not give you a job or a place to live because they

don’t like your age, race, ethnic or national origin, skin colour, family or marital status,

religion, disability, sex or sexual orientation. You can get help if you have a problem

with such discrimination. Call the Canadian Human Rights Commission at 666-2251

( in Vancouver) and 1-800-999-6899 ( elsewhere). Or call the B.C. Human Rights

Commission at 660-6811 ( in Vancouver),  387-3710 ( in Victoria) and 1-800-663-0876

( elsewhere in B.C. ).

A permanent resident/Canadian citizen may sponsor a relative to come to live in Canada. To

Do this you :

must be 19 years old or older,
must prove that you have enough money to take care of the relative(s) sponsored,
      while they settle in Canada.

For more information regarding this issue, contact the Citizenship and Immigration

Canada Office.

Landed immigrants can leave Canada for short holidays or family visits. If you plan to make

long trips outside Canada, especially if it is for more than 183 days, you must get a “returning

resident permit” from Citizenship and Immigration Canada office. Otherwise, you may lose

your permanent resident status in Canada.


Permanent resident may be asked to leave Canada permanently. Some of the reasons of

Deportation are :-

1. if convicted of a serious crime before they came to Canada and didn’t tell Citizenship and

    Immigration Canada about it.

2. if convicted of a serious crime while in Canada.

3. if lied or used false documents to enter Canada.

4. if broke promise to the Canadian government, e.g., if a person came to Canada on an

    immigrant visa with a condition to marry someone within 90 days, but didn’t get                                                                                             married if the government decides to deport someone, that person should get

information about the laws about it  and act on it by contacting a immigration lawyer


   After three years or more years living Canada, landed immigrants may apply for Canadian

   Citizenship. Immigrant citizens have the same right as born Canadian citizens.

  Canada allows dual citizenship, meaning you can be a Canadian citizen and a citizen of

  another country at the same time. But Nepal does not allow dual citizenship.


  To become a Canadian citizen, you must

be 18 years old or older.
(ii)        be a landed immigrant/permanent resident.

           (iii)       have lived in Canada as a permanent resident for three of the last four years.

           (iv)       speak  some English/French.

know something about Canadian history, geography, and political system.
know your rights and responsibilities as a citizen of Canada.
(vii)       have a clean record with the police and the Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
(viii)      take the oath of citizenship.
Parents must apply for children who are under 18 years old, and may do so at the time

of their own application.


To apply for Canadian citizenship, call the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office.

Ask for an “Application for Citizenship” forms package. You will need an application form

For each adult and child in your family. Complete the application form(s), attach all the

Necessary documents and fees, and mail the application to the Citizenship Case Processing

Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia. The address is on the forms package.

You may want to join a citizenship class to help you prepare for the citizenship test. For more

information, contact your local immigrant settlement agency, school, community college or



   Canada has three levels of governments. All three are elected by the citizens of Canada.

1. Federal Government :-  This is also called the government of Canada, looks after

the  responsibilities such as immigration, national defense and the international trade.

2. Provincial Government :-  Canada is divided into ten provinces and three

                                  territories, each of which has it’s own government.

                                  The responsibilities of the government includes

                                  Education, highways and hospitals.

3. Municipal Government :-   This is the local government of a city, town or village.

                                  It’s responsibilities includes fire protection, recreation,

                                  city streets and other local matters.

Help for new immigrants at the airport :- The Community Airport Newcomers’
Network ( CANN) welcomes new immigrants at the Vancouver International airport. It also helps the new comers to get the information and services they need. For further information please contact CANN at

                                        #280 – 8191 Westminster Highway

                                        Richmond, B.C. , V6X 1A7

                                        Tel.  (604) 270-0077;  Fax  (604) 270-6008

b)        Agencies to Help Immigrants/Refugees :-  There are immigrant settlement agencies in most locations in B.C. These agencies are there to help immigrants and refugees alike. Such helps includes getting interpreters to help find jobs, housing and English classes. Some of these agencies located in  Vancouver are listed below :-

Inland Refugee Society
100 – 1720 Grant Street

Vancouver, B.C. , V5L 2Y7;     Tel. (604) 251-3360,  Fax  (604) 254-2321

Immigrant Services Society of B.C.
501 – 333 Terminal Ave.

Vancouver, B.C. , V6A 2L7;      Tel. (604) 684-2561,  Fax  (604) 684-2266

Immigrant Services Society Welcome House
530 Drake Street

Vancouver, B.C. , V6B 2H3;      Tel. (604) 684-7498,  Fax (604) 684-5683

Pacific Immigrant Resources Society
385 South Boundary Road

Vancouver, B.C. , V5K 4S1;       Tel. (604) 298-5888,  Fax (604) 298-0747

2nd floor, 1720 Grant Street

Vancouver, B.C. , V5L 2Y7;        Tel. (604) 254-9626,  Fax (604) 254-3932

28 West Pender Street

Vancouver, B.C. , V6B 1R6;        Tel. (604) 684-1628,  Fax (604) 684-3328

Adjusting to Life in Canada :-  Most immigrants are exalted about starting a new life when they arrive in Canada. But as it takes time for them to get adjusted, which is often rather difficult, some may feel too worried and irritable. Finding a job, housing or school may not be that easy. Consequently, some may be unable to sleep, others may get  stomach problems or headache. Such problems/symptoms are considered normal under the circumstances. It may help to talk over these problems with family, friends or counsellors at an immigrant settlement agency like the ones listed above under agencies.
d) Checklist of things to do immediately after arriving in British Columbia :-

(I) Apply for Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) chap. Finding job
(ii) Register for health insurance. Chap. health care

(iii) If you have no money to live on, you may apply for financial help from the           provincial government. See next section e.

(iv) Apply for the Child Tax Benefit for children under 18 years old. The federal government sends monthly cheques to some families. The cheque is usually issued and sent to the mother. If you are a low income working family with children, you may be eligible for the B.C. Benefits Family Bonus. To find out about these benefits, please call 669-7815 ( in Vancouver ) and 1-800-387-1193 ( Elsewhere in B.C.).

e) Social Assistance/Welfare :-  Those immigrants ( some refugee claimants as well) who

      may not find jobs and have no money to live on, may qualify for some financial help from the provincial government. This financial help is known as “welfare” or “B.C. Benefits” or  “income assistance.” For this benefit, please visit the nearest Income Support    Program office of the Ministry of Human Resources. Telephone number and address may be  obtained from the Blue Pages of the Telephone Book.

f) Food Banks :- Many communities in B.C. have food banks for people who need emergency food. Each food bank has different rules.  Food Banks are run by the donation collected from people in the community.Check before you go there. To find the Food Bank in your area, please look in the White Pages of the Telephone Book under “Food Bank.”  

f) 1. Telephone Book :-  

The telephone books may have several sections. Sometimes they come separately.

(i)The Front Pages : It has area codes, emergency numbers and community


(i) The White Pages : It lists the names, addresses and phone numbers of people and businesses and is listed in alphabetical order.

(ii) The Blue Pages : It lists government offices. First listed is the government of Canada, then the provincial government and lastly listed is the municipality government you are living in.

(iii) The Yellow Pages : It lists businesses under the type of business, ie, doctors,

       restaurants and pharmacies.


2. Long Distance Calls

        Telephone number beginning with 1-800, 1-888 and 1-877 are called “ toll free

   numbers,”  meaning you do not have to pay for the call. It is free. The telephone numbers

   beginning with 1-900 are called “pay per call numbers,” meaning you have to pay for the

   call. It is not free.

   To make a long distance call, from a pay phone dial :

(i)   0 + 604 + seven digit local number  ( In lower mainland area of B.C.)

(ii)  0 + 250 + seven digit local number  ( In rest of B.C.)

(iii) 0 + area code + local number  ( In Canada, United States, Mexico and the  


(iv) 01 + country code + area code + local number  ( Rest of the world).

(v) 01 + 977 + area code + local number  ( Nepal).   1 is the area code for Kathmandu.

Post Office
All mail destined in Canada must include the postal code. If you do not have the

postal code, you may find it from the postal code book available at any post office

free of charge. Postage required on regular letter ( ie, less than 30g. for Canada

and the United States, and 20g. for rest of the world) is :

(i)   46 cents in Canada,

(ii)  55 cents to the United States,  and

(iii) 95 cents to rest of the world.


Bigger/heavier than the regular letter cost more accordingly.

Metric and Imperial measure
Usually both metric and imperial measurements are used in Canada. The conversion table below may be helpful to you :

To Convert                Into                Multiply By

        gallon ( imperial)             liters                     4.506

        gallon ( U.S.)                       liters                     3.785

        grams                        ounces                     0.035

        kilograms                pounds             2.205

        kilometers                miles                     0.621

        centimeters                inches                     0.394

        feet                        meters                     0.305

These are some of the Abbreviations and Acronyms commonly used in Canada :

B.C. British Columbia

BCSIP British Columbia Settlement and Integration Program

CPP Canada Pension Plan

CIC Citizenship and Immigration Canada

CPR Canadian Pacific Railway

EI Employment Insurance

CANN Community Airport Newcomers’ Network

ESL English as a Second Language

GIC Guaranteed Investment Certificate

GST Goods and Services Tax

ICBC Insurance Corporation of BC

ICES International Credential Evaluation Service

ID Identification

IFH Interim Federal Health

MSP Medical Services Plan

NCSBC Nepal Cultural Society of BC

OLA Open Learning Agency

PST Provincial Sales Tax

RCMP Royal Canadian Mounted Police

RRSP Registered Retirement Savings Plan

SAFER Shelter Aid for Elderly Rental

SIN Social Insurance Number

TV Television

WCB Workers’ Compensation Board

YMCA Young Men’s Christian Association

YWCA Young Women’s Christian Association

Natural disasters, such as floods, forest fire, snowstorms or a major earthquake may

Occur anytime, on which we may not have any control. But if you are prepared, you can

Reduce the risks involved. Make sure everyone in your household knows how to shut off

The gas, water and electricity.

If an earthquake strikes, the secret to survival will be to avoid panic. In a major quake

The ground can pitch and roll like the deck of a ship in a storm. Your chances of survival

Are best if you remain calm and prepared.

Here is what you can do:

Assemble a family emergency pack containing food, water, medications and first
Aid supplies and battery-operated radio and flashlight with extra batteries.

Fasten hot water heater securely in place and tall furniture solidly to walls.
Take a current, approved first aid course.
Prepare a family emergency plan and practise it regularly.
Know the best way to reach the nearest emergency first aid station.
Be prepared to be self-sufficient for up to 72 hours.
If you are in a building : 1. stay there and take cover beneath sturdy furniture
or in doorways. Stay close to the centre of the building

and away from glass window.

Don’t ignite candles, matches or lighters.
Remain clear of areas subject to the danger of falling

If you are in outdoors : Stay away from buildings and overhead power lines.
If you are in a moving car : Stop in a clear area away from bridges and overpasses
And stay inside the car.


Assess situation, check for injuries, treat your own injuries and if qualified give
First aid.

b) Inspect gas, water and electric lines. If in doubt, shut off mains. If there is a gas

leak, open windows, leave building and report to authorities.

c) Consult radio or TV for emergency information.

d) Stay out of damaged building.

e) Make phone call only for life threatening emergencies. Don’t overload the phones


f) Provide emergency help to those about you and remain calm until help arrives.

  1. Police  9-1-1
  2. Ambulance  9-1-1
  3. Fire  9-1-1
  4. Poison Control Centre  682-5050, 682-2344, or 1-800-567-8911
  5. Hospital  in your area, See Yellow Pages under “Hospital”
  6. Family Physician  … ….
  7. Neighbor/Relative  … ….
  8. Crime Stoppers ( Tips Line)  669-8477, 1-800-222-8477
  9. Earthquake, Flood, Spills and Tsunami ( 24 hrs.)  1-800-663-3456
  10. Sexual Assault ( victim) centre  255-6344
  11. Children Helpline ( child abuse and neglect)  Dial “0”, ask for Zenith 1234  
  12. Youth Against Violence  775-4264, or 1-800-680-4264
  13. Victim Information Line  1-800-563-0808
  14. National Crime Prevention Centre  1-877-302-6272
  15. B.C. Safe School Centre  1-888-224-7233
  16. B.C. Block Watch Society  1-888-405-2288


  1. Keep Calm:

1. Note the cause of the accident and number of casualties. Don’t injure yourself or

    further injure the victim in a foolish attempt at rescue.

2. Determine what treatments have been administered.

  1. Send for Help:

1. Use the Emergency Procedures as described above.

  1. Give First Aid:

1. Give first aid until relieved by emergency personnel.

2. Do not move victim unless absolutely necessary.

      3. Check responsiveness.

      4. Check airway, breathing and circulation.

    5. Stop serious bleeding.

    6. Check for broken bones or other injuries.

    7. Locate medical alert tags, if any.

    8. Assist emergency personnel when they arrive by providing pertinent information.

  •  Having a list of emergency phone numbers handy can save precious time when it

        Counts most.

  • If you have difficulty speaking, have a friend record a message, giving your name and address that you can use in the event of an emergency. Keep the tape in a

Recorder next to your phone.

  • Wherever 9-1-1 is available, the address and phone number of the registered phone

      Line will be displayed in most cases. This means even if the caller is unable to


  • For the quickest response from emergency teams, follow the Procedures


  1. Don’t panic. Assess the situation.
  2. Determine the type of emergency.
  3. Dial 9-1-1 or appropriate emergency number.
  4. Give the following information/answer to the dispatcher’s questions clearly and


1. Type of emergency.

2. What help is needed.

3. Exact address with cross-street.

4. Telephone number.

5. How many people require help.

6. What treatment is being administered.

e)   Don’t hang up until told to do so by the dispatcher.

Load More